Monday, November 18, 2013

A few packing tips that make the job a bit easier - from someone who really hates to pack.


Tamara Nugteren


We travel quite a bit.  Not as much as someone who would say they are always traveling, but enough that I have devised a system.

We are Minnesota transplants.  That means that multiple times a year we make the four hour trek "home" to South Dakota.  Many holidays and weekends spent on the road.  If time and finances allow, we also try to take a summer vacation to a lake location and a winter vacation to somewhere warm.  Truly, we live for that opportunity.

But no long weekend or well deserved vacation will happen in a family with children without the time sucking, mind numbing, stress inducing task of packing.  Seriously, I really don't like it.  And, as most mothers can attest, 99% of all packing and other pre-vacation chores and errands are done by one parent.  In our family's case - it's me.  I pack for myself, the children and take care of the pets.  Dad just packs for himself.  And maybe I help with that a little, too.  It's not that my wonderful husband isn't willing, but I'm home and he's not.  And, let's be honest.  He doesn't know what we need.

Back in the day, I would have a hard time sleeping the night before a trip because my mind would be running a million miles an hour.  "Don't forget to stop the mail. Remember to grab the baby Tylenol. Did I grab the charger? Remember the pillows."  I'd actually have to get up and write myself a note, or just get the "whatever".  After a while, my college skills kicked in and I decided to make myself some permanent lists.  Now - with only a few exceptions - I can just go down the list and grab what I need for the particular packing occasion (trip to SD?  vacation to a lake?) and I won't forget something.  And the real beauty?  It's a checklist - so ANYONE can help.
This is  our "camping" pack list.  
There are many ways to do this.  When I first started making pack lists, I had a Palm Pilot (remember those??).  Today, my personal preference is the low tech "reminders" list making app that came loaded on my phone.  A Word document works just fine as well.  With any of these you can edit your list as your family grows and if you are using Word, you can print it for all to see.  On my reminders app, I can save lists and then check of the individual items in the list as I go.

If you are going to make yourself some permanent pack lists - which you should, of course - I suggest going all out and including everything.  Even the things you think are so basic you would never forget them.  Because otherwise you will.  Or you assume someone else already put it in the van.

Now I know list making isn't revolutionary.  But here is the time and sanity saver - not remaking the list ever darn time.  The editing option is huge too, if you go back to the same location again and again.  For example, the first time we ever traveled to Mexico, I WAY over packed.  And over packing is expensive if you are flying.  I edited my pack list when we returned home, so that if we ever went back I would remember some things.  Like, there are no mosquitoes, so don't bother with bug spray.  One bottle of sunblock is enough for the whole family for a week.  It will never be cold enough that we'll need pants (this is a mental block for me as I'm always cold).  In fact, just don't pack so many clothes.  They never got worn.  Bring beach toys.  You get the idea.

Even on short trips its easier to check off the "pre-travel" requirements.  Stop the newspaper and the mail.  Take out the trash.  Run the dishwasher. Tip the blinds.  Pack the dog food. These are the things that keep me up at night before a trip.  I have peace of mind knowing they are on the list.  And of course, the real beauty.  When my husband asks, "what can I do?" I can say - do something on the list.  Awesome.

A few other tips and tricks that make packing easier.  Yes, these are simple - but you may not do them. You should.  You may eventually have come to these conclusions on your own, but that might take a few trips or a few years.  I like to think I'm saving you that time.

1) Keep toiletry bags packed as much as you can.  Buy duplicates of your make up, toothbrushes and medicines - even the over the counter, just-in-case ones (Ibuprofen, cold medicine, etc.).  Buy the travel size deodorants, toothpastes, lotions, hair products and shampoos.  Running around gathering up all these things takes time.

2) If you aren't flying on a plane - use big, clear, plastic tubs with lids for packing.  Everything will fit, you will be able to see it and they are stackable for the trip.

3) For kids that are old enough to dress independently but still need help with packing (thinking grade school):  Pack each outfit into a rolled up bundle and rubber band it together OR if your kids clothes are small enough, put each outfit into a gallon sized baggie.  This is especially helpful for trips to camp or to grandparents houses.  Each day they can just grab a new ready-to-go outfit without trying to figure out what to wear with what or what is clean in that great big bag.
Shorts, underware and a shirt.  Rolled up together
and held together with a rubberband.
4) Have a laundry bag.  Simple idea, right? But do you have one?  It is much easier to both find clothes to wear in your suitcase (or tub 'o clothes) without all the dirty ones getting in your way and to come home and just toss the whole bag in the laundry rather than sorting through everything after you return.
Repacking at the end of a week at a cabin in Wisconsin.
Tubs, pillows in garbage bags and our big, full, black and purple laundry bag.
Can you believe all that fit in the van?  


So as you pack up your family for holiday travel this year, consider taking some notes.  Write down all the things you have “To Do” before you leave.  Add on all the things “To Pack”.  When you return, edit it, type it up and save it for next time.  You’ll be glad you did.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment