Thursday, June 4, 2015

Waiting no-so-patiently

No ducklings yet.  My guess is that it will be any day.

Each morning and evening I peek in with my camera to see if I can spy any activity. The wood duck society says that once the ducks start hatching, they will leave their nest the very next morning. I don't want to miss it.

Last evening I happened to catch Skyler out of her nest for dinner. I was able to check the eggs a little more closely and I can tell they are not starting to pip yet. 'Pipping' is the term that describes when the ducks first start to hatch.  

While she waits for her babies to hatch, Skyler has been adding even more down to her nest to keep her eggs warm. If you look closely, you can see the eggs under the fluff.


Here is a short video I took this morning when I was checking on her nest. She's not real fond of it and hisses at me. But I can see that she still there and doing a good job.






No comments:

Post a Comment