Friday, February 26, 2010

I Love Bed Bath and Beyond

I have a confession. I really love Bed Bath and Beyond. Perhaps too much. It's really a dangerous place, though. It is full of thousands of things that you didn't know you needed until you saw them there. When you do see them, you think "I can't believe I don't have one of these! How did I ever live without??" If you have better self control than I, BB&B is a great store for making space.

Hang it up.
Hooks really do make life easier. I just bought some little hook racks for hanging belts on a wall. I already had one, but decided to get a second one for organizing my long necklaces. Not the delicate ones - the chunky bead types. I've tried putting them all in a basket, but I usually forget that I own the ones on the bottom and miss out on wearing them. I've tried a traditional necklace stand, but found that it is really meant for shorter "collar length" strands. The long ones just pooled on the dresser top and tangled. You can hang these little versatile hook racks on the wall inside your closet, for belts, or inside a bathroom cabinet or directly on a wall of your choosing for necklaces. Now maybe I won't wear the same necklace everyday because I don't feel like digging for another!

While I'm lauding the virtues of hooks, I have to ask why no one told me sooner that it is much easier to have towel hooks in the bathroom rather than a towel rod?? We just moved. Our old house had two bathrooms. Both came well equiped with towel rods. All good bathrooms do.
Our children could not reach the towel rods and I'm pretty sure that even if they could they would probably not have hung the towels "nicely". So, after every bath, my husband or I would hang their towels on the hooks behind the bathroom door. We hung our two towels on the towel rod. Nicely - otherwise they wouldn't fit. In our new home, the master bathroom only had one dinky towel rod fit for a hand towel. No place at all for bath towels. Seriously, what did the previous owners do with their towels? Left them on the floor, I guess. Looking at our options, we realize that there wasn't a good place for a towel rod anywhere within reach of the shower. So, we used our only (I thought inferior) option. A double, side-by-side hook. I love it. So easy. Quicker to use and you can't do it wrong. I'm getting another one soon for the hand towel. The little towel rod is on it's way out. By the way, it is very difficult to find really big double hooks like this one. I searched near and far before I stumbled upon this one at (where else?) B, B & B. Most of the other hooks that I could find were short ones, only about an inch long. The towels would not stay on them.

The kid's bathroom is also getting hooks for their bath towels. That bathroom is getting the board with the four hooks already attached and it is going behind the door. And I'm going to be smart - I'm hanging it low where they can reach it. Yes, it looks strange hanging in the middle of the door, but if they can't reach it they won't use it and I've given myself another job to do.

Have a great weekend,
Tamara

No comments:

Post a Comment