Sunday, March 7, 2010

Get out of the house faster.

A couple of years ago I had a revelation. I spent way too much time searching for my keys.

Most days it was probably only five minutes per trip out of the house. But sometimes it was way more. Fifteen, twenty minutes on a really bad day. Time spent searching all the logical spots - in coat pockets (but which coat?), digging around that deep, dark abyss I call a purse and searching under paper piles. All the while getting later and later for whatever I was leaving at the last minute for.

When I was in junior high school, my Mom had this key fob that would beep if you whistled for it. Of course, your keys had to be nearby for that to work. Kind of embarrassing in public places, too.

I decided to go low tech to solve my problem. I attached a carabiner to my keys. Now the first thing I do when I get out of the car is attach my keys to my purse. Everytime. If I don't have a purse, I attach them to whatever I have that won't be leaving me. Beltloops on jeans work great, too. If I leave the house on average of three times a day, that means I could easily be searching for my keys 5 times. If I save even only 5 minutes per time, that is 25 minutes a day! Could be more depending on how long you normally search.

Simple. I love it. They sell these things everywhere, too. Most hardware stores have bins of them and they are usually around $1.00. Well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment